God's word is so awesome and so full of direction. There are some scripture that you just can't read and study enough and I think 1 Peter 3 is one of those kind. How appropriate that my reading schedule would fall around our "Love" holiday.
Now 1 Peter 3: 1- 7 may not be every one's favorite reading, but it speaks so much truth in just a few verses. God speaks to wives and husbands with a plan that leads to a successful marriage. I'm sure some of you will think it odd that I would write on this subject. But can I tell you that since I was a young child I have always seem to learn best through my mistakes. My Daddy always said I was hard headed and I'm sure he was right.
While denominations have different opinions on these verses, I like to think of it in the words of Aretha Franklin..... R-E-S-P-E-C-T ( and yes I had to sing it to spell it! LOL)
I try to make sure that I respect my husbands opinion even though it may be quite different from mine.
Here are some ways I am trying to respect my husband:
1. Although at times I may make suggestions about his attire I try to remember that it really doesn't matter what he wears.
2. I quit telling him to slow down when he's eating because he has done it for 39 years and he can't change. It doesn't hurt anybody.
3. I don't ask him to stop listening to his kind of music so that I can listen to mine. Its his truck and his radio.
When we are in my car we listen to my music.
4. I try not to fuss when he leaves a mess. Sometimes I just pick it up. ( I'm not completely cured here) LOL
5. I always attempt to laugh at his jokes even if they are not funny.
6. I try very hard to pay close attention when he tells me about his day.
7. I tell him how much I love his blue eyes, especially when he is wearing blue.
8. I thank him and brag on him when he helps me with chores even when I ask for the help.
9. I say "I love you" many, many times a day!
My husband is so sweet and loves me so much. He respects me for who I am. He loves me even though I am very far from perfect. It is my prayer that we will always love and be kind to each other even when we don't agree.